Wednesday, August 24, 2011

For You

For you:

Many tears, time, and self discovery have brought me to this moment.

A loss can be the most difficult misfortune to write about. It takes time to properly formulate the ideal words to uncover the truth about your unrelenting denial. I have ultimately gathered the strength to admit that I have loved and I have lost.

The glimmer of city lights takes me back a few years to a time when you loved me. Maybe in another life, distance and space would not separate our hearts and minds from happiness. Sadly, we were not so fortunate.

I have recently found myself wondering if our two worlds could yet again combine. I crave those moments our eyes meet and I feel as though I’m the one. The one to bring you strength in times of trial, bring you joy in times of sorrow, and help you feel when you strive to be numb.


I begin to feel dizzy when I can’t decipher the distance between a memory and the present. As your eyes shift away, I can decode your movement as passion for the newness in your life. I have come to accept that it is inevitable for time to change the present. With that said, seeing you in your latest element has provided the platform for this prolonged goodbye.

Our love will be endless for you have changed me for the better. However, I have spent my days wishing to be the strength that you need. I can’t stand at the bottom of your cliff with my sore arms outstretched towards you forever. The most difficult part is realizing that you don’t even need me to.


Like the trends of last season, I have been replaced. I’ve caught myself standing in an empty room holding on to something that has left my grasp long ago. Even when I picked myself up and carried on, I felt that you needed me. No one had our bond. No one had our understanding of one another. No one had our love. It is for this reason that I can not settle with merely a friendship. We will always have more. I can’t continue waiting for a time when your heart is broken and you realize I am the only soul that can put the pieces back together.

For the first time, I am ready to let you go. I am ready to wish you happiness without me.

I can no longer yearn to save someone that doesn’t need the saving. I can only wish you a life filled with the love that you have bestowed upon me. I hope that one day your sleepless nights are silenced with answers to your thoughts. I hope you let more people in to allow them to see the incredible gifts you have to share. I hope you know that you are enough. I hope you know that you are capable of doing more than you can imagine. I hope you know that you are inspirational. I hope you know that your family is proud of you. I hope you know someone believes in all you do. I hope you wont be afraid to feel, whether its love or its pain. I hope you know that you have the power to change someone’s life.

Thank you for changing mine.

Through time and distance, the city lights are a constant reminder that you once loved me. All I ask today is that you gracefully exit my dreams and allow me to continue this journey without you. I have loved and I have lost. Both have empowered me to only love harder.

1 comment: